Monday 12 January 2015

The idea

The idea was for Nixiwaka to travel to the Yawanawá tribe and document some of the conversations he would have around a number of topics affecting the West and transposing those to the Yawanawá tribe itself. 



The aim was to arrive at a number of questions and observations, which could eventually be shared with UCA students. There was also the possibility of developing the project further, depending on the outcome. Given my social science background I was of course aware that when undertaking such project, i.e. working with culturally different people, engaging an ‘untrained’ yet seemingly professional person, the possibility of no or limited results had to remain a possibility. Therefore no expectation in terms of specific outcomes were set, apart from an understanding about the aim, that is to document and explore the topics with the tribe where possible by talking to different tribe members and filming those conversations. There was in a sense a reference to Zach Inuk though distinct differences as well.



I have to admit that my knowledge about the tribe at this stage relied mainly on the information provided to me by Nixiwaka himself and I had not corroborated that information through other sources, which to some extent was not deemed necessary as the project was not deemed a research project as such. The list of topics I proposed were Adaptation; Ex-change; Contra-dictions; Future; Healing; Identity; Mis-takes; Ownership; Power; Waste. Nixiwaka responded positively and was keen to do the project and engage with it positively. Following further conversations he eventually requested that I should join him on the trip, which for me was a logistical nightmare, not only from my workload point of view but also for personal family reasons. Also I do not like traveling, I never had traveled to Brazil, never mind to the Amazon, I don’t speak the language of Portuguese (a distinct disadvantage as it turned out) and so on. Yet, I felt to be true to the idea and the sincerity of the project I had to somehow commit and make myself available for the trip and be an active participant. Nixiwaka wanted me to experience the world of his tribe, its spirituality and its situation. Though I did point out that this was not aiming for a spiritual trip nor for a Yawanawá awareness-raising trip. It was to be ‘open ended’ and simply framed by the list of topics, which in turn relate to the Creative Challenge philosophy. Also, I was wary that I could be seen as the ‘project lead’, which was counter to the original spirit of the idea. Under no circumstances did I want to raise false expectations and hopes among the people I would meet, hence my original suggestion for Nixiwaka to travel alone. It goes without saying of course that I was indeed honoured to be invited to visit the tribe, especially outside the Yawanawá Festival,




which takes place each August or October and prompts an international ‘pilgrimage’ of several hundred people each year. He told me that normally people don’t visit the tribe outside the festival period or only do so with special permission or agreement and negotiated payment. On my trip, though, I encountered a number of ‘Westerners’, including Europeans at the tribe.

Nixiwaka suggested that we should travel during the festival period but I was not available at that time and we agreed on the December dates of 13th to 24th December. Again with my social science background I was pleased not to visit the Yawanawá during the ‘staged’ festival period but to visit during a time when I could experience ‘everyday life’, which I felt would provide me with a much better insight into the lives of the Yawanawá and more time to explore the topics. Having said that, the festival is seen as an important mean to keep some of the traditions and ways of life of the tribe alive, more below. So, after apparently having consulted the leaders of his tribe, Nixiwaka confirmed that the Yawanawá were happy for me to come, indeed Nixiwaka suggested that they were so excited that they would stage a special ceremony for my visit. The pressure was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment